Man to be tried in priest assault
SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 11 (UPI) -- A California judge ruled Thursday a San Francisco man should stand trial for allegedly assaulting the Catholic priest he says molested him decades ago.
Judge David Cena also rejected a defense motion to reduce the charges against Will Lynch, 43, to a misdemeanor, the San Jose Mercury News reported.
Lynch's lawyer, Mark Geragos, told the newspaper his client believes the trial will be an opportunity to hold the Rev. Jerry Lindner morally responsible for his actions. The statute of limitations prevents any criminal charges from being brought against the 65-year-old priest, who has been accused of abuse by others as well, including his own brother and sister.
"I think the truth will come out," Geragos said. "I don't think this guy will ever take the stand. I don't think he's got the guts. He's a coward. He's just retreated into this church-sponsored anonymity."
Lynch allegedly assaulted Lindner last year at a Jesuit center in Los Gatos where the retired priest is now living.
A woman testified at the preliminary hearing Wednesday that she saw the assault. But she also acknowledged under cross-examination that Lindner is on a list of priests suspected of molesting children.
Read more at www.upi.comLynch and his brother settled a civil case with the Jesuit order. They said Lynch abused them at a church camp in Portola State Park in the 1970s.
No comments:
Post a Comment