ARTICLES - HOT OFF THE FAGGOT

Bishop admits he abused 2nd nephew

Belgian bishop admits he abused second nephew

Amplify’d from af.reuters.com

Belgian bishop admits he abused second nephew

Photo

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A disgraced former Belgian bishop admitted Thursday that he had abused a second nephew, but said that he did not consider himself a paedophile.

Roger Vangheluwe, 74, resigned as bishop of Bruges a year ago after admitting to sexually abusing one nephew and is still awaiting a final verdict from the Vatican.

In his first public appearance in a year, Vangheluwe gave a long interview to Belgian television station VT4 that was broadcast live Thursday evening.

He began by saying how sorry he was and then gave details of his abuse of two nephews, one for some 13 years, the other for less than a year.

"It had nothing to do with sexuality. I have often been involved with children and I never felt the slightest attraction. It was a certain intimacy that took place," Vangheluwe said.

"I don't have the impression at all that I am a paedophile. It was really just a small relationship. I did not have the feeling that my nephew was against it, quite the contrary."

Vangheluwe said that the abuse had stopped some 25 years ago, before he was a bishop, and that he had managed to live with his past in the intervening period.

"How did it begin? As with all families. When they came to visit, the nephews slept with me. It began as a game with the boys. It was never a question of rape, there was never physical violence used. He never saw me naked and there was no penetration."

Vangheluwe said he had thought of his acts as more "superficial" things.

"Of course I know that this was not good. I have confessed many times," he said.

The former bishop also said he had paid one of his victims a million Belgian francs (22,000 pounds) on a number of occasions but that this had not been to buy his silence.

Vangheluwe, who has been in hiding since his public confession, is waiting for the Vatican to decide whether to defrock him.

The Vatican has said the former bishop had left Belgium and was receiving "spiritual and psychological treatment."

Vangheluwe, who mentioned he had received hundreds of letters of support, said he would accept the Vatican's verdict.

Prosecutors in Bruges have said the abuse cases took place too long ago to be prosecuted now. The bishop's resignation sparked a wave of revelations of sexual abuse in Belgium's Catholic Church and fuelled debate about whether the hierarchy protected abusers over the past decades.

Brussels Archbishop Andre-Joseph Leonard has caused controversy by saying it was vengeful to prosecute retired priests and that the Church had no obligation to compensate victims.

A parliamentary inquiry panel urged the Church last month to provide compensation. The Church has said it is considering what to do.

(Reporting by Philip Blenkinsop; editing by David Stamp)

Read more at af.reuters.com
 

US diplomatic service serves Vatican

US diplomatic service serves sex abuse case papers on Vatican

Amplify’d from www.irishtimes.com

US diplomatic service serves sex abuse case papers on Vatican

PATSY McGARRY, Religious Affairs Correspondent

THE US has allowed its diplomatic service to be used on behalf of a Chicago man to serve court papers on the Vatican, suing Pope Benedict, Vatican secretary of state Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone and his predecessor, Cardinal Angelo Sodano, in connection with clerical child sex abuse.

The papers allege all three conspired to keep silent an abuse allegations against Fr Lawrence Murphy at St John’s School for the Deaf, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The priest, who died in 1998, admitted abusing 34 children there.

An attempt last January to serve the same papers on the Vatican through the more usual Federal Express failed. Msgr Brian Wells of the Vatican secretariat of state refused them, saying they were “undesired and unwanted”.

Terry Kohut, the man bringing the action, was a student at St John’s in the 1970s, and is one of an estimated 200 deaf students who it is claimed were sexually abused by the then director of the school Fr Murphy.

In a diplomatic note accompanying the court papers, which it conveyed to the Vatican’s secretariat of state on April 4th last, the US embassy to the Holy See pointed out that under US law the defendant (in this instance the Pope and the two cardinals) must respond within 60 days of the papers being served “or face the possibility of having judgment entered against it without the opportunity of presenting evidence or arguments on its behalf”.

Jeff Anderson, Mr Kohut’s lawyer, described the earlier refusal by the Vatican to receive the papers as “an appalling and inexcusable slight to survivors, but consistent with the Catholic Church hierarchy’s tactics of deceit, delay and denial”.

On confirmation the papers had been served, he said it would be “interesting to see what new tactic for delay they will come up with”.

In 1996 the then archbishop of Milwaukee, Archbishop Rembert Weakland, complained about Fr Murphy in a letter to the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, of which Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope, was prefect.

In 1997 the congregation instructed Archbishop Weakland to hold a canonical trial into the allegations against Fr Murphy.

It then changed its mind following a plea from the priest. The Vatican cited Fr Murphy’s advanced age, failing health and lack of further allegations for stopping the trial.

Mr Kohut wrote letters directly to Cardinal Sodano in 1995, reporting he had been abused by Fr Murphy.

When the Vatican refused the court papers last January, Mr Anderson called on the current archbishop of New York, Archbishop Timothy Dolan, to get involved. Archbishop Dolan, who recently led the apostolic visitation to Ireland’s seminaries, had been archbishop of Milwaukee from 2002 to 2009.

Read more at www.irishtimes.com
 

Lawyer's practice focus on clergy-abuse

Lawyer's practice focuses on clergy-abused children



By Chris Mondics, Inquirer Staff Writer


















Psychiatrists defend priests

Psychiatrists question Philadelphia investigation, defend priests

Amplify’d from www.catholicculture.org
Psychiatrists question Philadelphia investigation, defend priests

Richard Fitzgibbons (a psychiatric counselor and consultant to the Vatican's Congregation for the Clergy) and his partner Peter Kleponis raise a series of serious questions about the recent grand-jury report on priestly abuse in Philadelphia, and the archdiocesan response.

  • Why were 21 priests suspended in the wake of the report, when the archdiocese had already investigated them and found the evidence of wrongdoing unpersuasive?
  • Why were investigations not conducted in confidence, but the priests were exposed to public contempt--so that their reputations can never be fully repaired, even if a 2nd investigation finds them innocent?
  • Why is a "repressed memory" accepted as credible evidence of abuse?
  • Why did the archdiocese make no attempt to distinguish between priests who molested young people and those guilty of "boundary violations," which may be inappropriate behavior but is not abusive or criminal?
  • Why is there so little attention paid to the likelihood of false accusations?
Read more at www.catholicculture.org
 

Wisconsin: Vatican Gets Notice of Suit

Amplify’d from www.nytimes.com

Wisconsin: Vatican Gets Notice of Suit

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS







The Vatican has been served with court papers stemming from decades-old accusations of sexual abuse against a now-dead priest at a Milwaukee-area school for the deaf, the State Department says. In a news release Tuesday, the plaintiff’s lawyer, Jeff Anderson, said the lawsuit was filed through official channels. An adviser with the State Department confirmed that the Vatican received the documents last week. The suit was filed nearly a year ago in federal court. It claims Pope Benedict XVI and two other top Vatican officials knew about accusations of sexual abuse at the school and called off internal punishment of the accused priest.






Read more at www.nytimes.com
 

Obama honoured Catholic martyr

Amplify’d from communities.canada.com
The mainstream media in North America didn't offer detailed coverage when U.S. President Barack Obama recently visited the tomb of Bishop Oscar Romero in El Salvador. But the visit, described as "extraordinary" by the Central American press, had contentious elements, and may be highly symbolic of the kind of values Obama endorses.
Romero, a once-cautious bishop who ended up becoming a giant figure in the conflict that Central America's rural poor waged against military dictatorships, was assassinated in 1980 as he presided at mass.
Despite calls for him to be beatified, the Vatican is moving slowly. No one really knows why. But an article in the excellent online scholarly journal, Religion Dispatches, speculates it may be because Romero is now identified with "liberation theology," which is out of favour in Rome.
Miami University religious studies professor Michelle Conzalez Maldonado writes in Religion Dispatches:
"The symbolism of Obama’s visit is profound. Romero is currently under review for beatification, a somewhat uneasy process given Romero’s association with liberation theology and Pope Benedict’s recently published book on Jesus that clearly states Jesus was not the revolutionary often described by political and revolutionary (a.k.a. liberation) theologies. While many are casting Obama’s tribute to Romero as a recognition of his activism on behalf of human rights, Romero himself would remind us that this is a political act."
Whatever the case within the Catholic hierarchy, Obama's historic visit on March 23 (the 31st anniversary of Romero's assassination), shows he's not entirely afraid to rile the Vatican nor indirectly criticize earlier U.S. administrations, which trained the Salvadoran military suspected to have ordered Romero's killing (which became the subject of a movie with Raul Julia.)
However, a recent article in The National Catholic Reporter criticizes Obama for not going nearly far enough. The article quotes priests and brothers in the Maryknoll Order, who lament that Obama refrained from linking Romero's killing to U.S. interventionism.
See the original Religion Dispatches article here.
Read the National Catholic Reporter article.
Read more at communities.canada.com
 

Contraception OK, Vatican says

Contraception OK, Vatican says in World Youth Day booklet

Amplify’d from www.heraldsun.com.au



Contraception OK, Vatican says in World Youth Day booklet



  • Shannon Deery


THE Vatican has given the green light for Catholics to start using contraception, breaking a centuries-old church teaching.

In a move that has rocked the Catholic Church, a new Vatican-approved catechism to be released for this year's World Youth Day tells youths they "can and should" use "contraceptive methods" when planning a family.

The controversial statement breaks centuries of Catholic teaching that the use of contraception is "intrinsically evil".

Catholic News Agency reports the directive was issued in the new YouCat booklet to be released this week.

It has been produced in 12 languages for youths attending August's World Youth Day event in Madrid.

It is believed the advice to use contraceptives only appears in the Italian version of the booklet after a translation error.

Question 420 in the Italian language edition states: "Q. Puo una coppia christiana fare ricorso ai metodi anticoncezionali?" (Can a Christian couple have recourse to contraceptive methods?)

"A. Si, una coppia cristiana puo e deve essere responsabile nella sua facolta di poter donare la vita." (Yes, a Christian couple can and should be responsible in its faculty of being able to give life).

A spokesman for the Vatican said he had not yet seen the text so was unable to comment.

But a press conference has been scheduled.

It is not yet known if other language versions also contain the same controversial statement on contraception.

It is believed the English edition does not contain the problematic language.

The statement is set to reignite the contraception debate around the world.

In 2009 Sydney Archbishop Cardinal George Pell enraged health experts after he repeated the Pope's claim that condoms aggravate AIDS and promote promiscuity.

"The idea that you can solve a great spiritual and health crisis like AIDS with a few mechanical contraptions like condoms is ridiculous," he said at the time.

Read more at www.heraldsun.com.au
 

SDA Pastor BT Rice addressing the pope in the vatican mass

Officer kills man during Pa. standoff

Amplify’d from www.inyork.com

Officer kills man during central Pa. standoff

The Associated Press
NEW HOLLAND, Pa.—Authorities in central Pennsylvania have released the name of a man killed following a standoff with officers.

Police in Lancaster County say 41-year old Larry Dean Marsh was shot early Wednesday after a lengthy standoff outside his home in the Green Acres Mobile Home Park in Earl Township.

State police said in a statement that Marsh had called 911 just before 1 a.m. and indicated that he wanted "police to shoot him."

Police said he was shot several hours later by an officer after he aimed the .22 caliber rifle at officers.

Lancaster County District Attorney Craig Stedman said he has asked state police to investigate. Corporal Robert Courtwright of the Ephrata barracks says a preliminary investigation indicates that officers acted appropriately.

———

Information from: Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era , http://lancasteronline.com

Read more at www.inyork.com
 

Man shot, pushed from car in Phila

Amplify’d from www.inyork.com

Police: Man shot, pushed from car in Philadelphia

The Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA—Police in Philadelphia say a man is dead after being dumped on the street after being shot.

Authorities say 33-year-old Gahib Allah was pushed from a car Tuesday night in the city's Kensington neighborhood. He was transported to a hospital with multiple gunshot wounds to his chest and stomach and was pronounced dead.

Investigators tell The Philadelphia Inquirer the man was pushed from a silver, late-model Acura with three other people inside.

No arrests have been made.

———

Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer, http://www.philly.com

Read more at www.inyork.com